Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am currently employed at JPMorgan Chase but in term

Customer Question
I am currently employed at...
I am currently employed at JPMorgan Chase but in long term disability. However, I have just been informed by HR dept that my position has not been eliminated but no longer available. Therefore, am I now eligible for severance pay?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/30/2018
Employment Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

There is no state or federal law that requires employers to pay someone severance pay when laying them off. Whether a person is entitled to severance pay is a matter of private contract between the employer and the employee. If you don't have a specific contract or employee handbook that mentions severance, ask HR what the company policy is. You can also ask to negotiate a payment even if they haven't promised to do so. They don't have to provide it, but that doesn't mean you can't make the request.

Once you are able to work again, you may be eligible for unemployment compensation. However, a person cannot collect disability and unemployment at the same time, because disability requires that you're unable to work, and unemployment requires that you are able to work.

Note, however, that they can't lay you off because you're disabled. If your position was the only one eliminated, you may have a claim against the company for violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Unless this is a mass layoff, you may want to talk to an employment discrimination lawyer in your area. Having a lawyer contact them and explain why it's illegal for them to let you go could make them more likely to give you a generous package.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Do you have any questions about this?