Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

How can I make a complaint against a manager that is mean,

Customer Question
How can I make...

How can I make a complaint against a manager that is mean, disrespectful and demeaning to all of her employees?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with your HR staff? Or with a lawyer?

I am working to get the contact of the area or general manager. I was an employee and my daughter still works there

Lawyer's Assistant: Is your employee "at will?" Does she belong to a union?

I don’t think so

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Hmmm.....I could go on and on about the amount of embarrassing disrespect this woman throws around at her mostly teenage staff, in the store, in front of customers. She is demeaning

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/30/2018
Employment Lawyer: Attorney Wendy, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. I am sorry that you had to deal with this situation and that your daughter is continuing to deal with it. In many situations, even the most outrageous and horrible behavior by a manager to employees does not give rise to a legal claim. It is generally only when that hostile conduct - rising to the level of harassment - is targeting a person or persons due to their being in what is known as a "protected class." Protected classes include those who may experience different, hostile or harassing conduct due to one's race, religion, gender, age, etc. In most age discrimination or hostile environment claims, the target of the harassment is targeted due to older age, but treating those of a younger age could also possibly create legal discrimination claims. To be subject to these laws - depending on which anti-discrimination law is relied upon - requires an employer who employs a minimum number of employees (typically for these types of claims 15 employees or more). Reporting the conduct to management or Human Resources if there is an HR department is a good first step. Also, if the employer has policies about how and to whom the discriminatory or harassing conduct should be reported should be followed.

If, after complaining, the conduct continues, it may be worth considering filing a discrimination claim with the EEOC or your state's related agency, if your state has a department that works jointly with the EEOC to investigate such claims. The complaint should be made by the person suffering the harassment.

This kind of "management" is always bad for employee morale and is bad for business. It is in the company's interest to deal with this conduct regardless whether it is an actual legal violation. I hope this information helps and that you are able to find someone within the company to deal properly with these issues. If you need further assistance, please reply to this email. If I answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

Please note: This information is for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action is being proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.

I wanted to check back in to see if there was anything else with which I could help you regarding this issue.