Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I used to work for MCI WorldCom prior to their collapse and

Customer Question

I used to work for MCI WorldCom prior to their collapse and I would like to know how I can get my pension which I paid in during my employment
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: do I have to do anything?
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No I left them sometime ago and I will be 55 in two months and would like to know whether I can get back all my money or 25% of it prior to me retiring
JA: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: what does an at will employee mean and yes I belong to the GMB union
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no not at the moment just those questions above
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 7 months ago.
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am happy to wait for a response
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You are aware MCI World Com, including all of their pensions, collapsed and went bankrupt right?

Have you checked with the Pension Benefit Guaranty Board yet?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi I have not checked with the pension benefit guaranty board how can I contact them?

All pensions are reported to the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation if they cannot find the rightful owner and there was money in the account or when a pension goes bankrupt they guarantee a percentage of your payments. Since MCI went bankrupt, they would have to track what happened to the pension. The link is http://www.pbgc.gov

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.