Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Re: I'm looking for a New York State attorney to Appeal a…

Customer Question
Re: I'm looking for a...
Re: I'm looking for a New York State attorney to Appeal a decision of the Unemployment Insurance Appeal Board (UIAB)
On March 13, 2018, UIAB denied my requests for a financial hardship waiver of the funds it claims that I owe and for a review of my case because, contrary to the UIAB decision, I did not make a willful misrepresentation to obtain benefits and am baffled how the UI decided that I did. I represented myself at the UI hearings and obviously was not competent.
I am 72 years old Vietnam era veteran. At the time of the terrorist attack on 9/11/01, I was a professional actor (not famous). For several months following the attack, as a result of a temporary government program that reimbursed victims for purchases of air cleaning devices to clean toxic air from their homes, I occasionally sold air cleaning devices. I reported every day that I worked. Despite reporting every day that I worked, the UI decision requires me to repay benefits for a period considerably larger than the period that occasionally sold the air cleaning devices.
Can you help me? Finances are an issue for me. How much would filing an appeal cost me?
Thank you,
John Bal
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 day by:
3/30/2018
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

So, unfortunately, the website doesn't offer representation at all. You'd have to find a local attorney to assist with your UIAB appeal. But, one upside is that I can help you with whatever questions that you may have and provide some insight otherwise that could be very valuable to you.

What questions did you have about this for me?

How much experience do you have appealing NYS Unemployment Insurance Appeal Board decisions?
John Bal

I don't have any experience doing something that specific in your area; however, appeals of this nature are virtually identical across the country and aside from some minor procedural differences, follow the same pattern such that I believe I could provide you some assistance.

What specific questions did you have for me about this?

How much would you charge me to do the appeal?

Hi, because I don't practice in NY, I wouldn't be able to help you; however, for just about $42, I can answer whatever questions you have about the process and the law regarding it. If you're looking for representation, you'd have to look at your local bar association for a labor and employment attorney to assist.