Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

If an employee refuses to return a settlement check because…

Customer Question
If an employee refuses...

If an employee refuses to return a settlement check because he disagrees with the amount, does that mean that he is accepting the settlement and the issue is resolved?

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

It was discussed with both the manager and HR. The employee was given the check but was unhappy with the outcome.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

Union, it is hourly

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/29/2018
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Is there anything I writing, signed by the employee, such as a settlement agreement or release?

There was nothing signed by the employee.

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get. I just ask that you not shoot the messenger.

Without any written agreement, there is nothing which would release you from liability even if the other party cashed the check. It will be credited to any final terms but will not, in and of itself, cut off liability.

There is nothing which legally cuts off liability with that check. So, you may want to stop payment until you get something in writing. Let the ex know that you are stopping payment until the settlement terms are finalised and reduced to a signed written agreement and release.

I am happy to continue if you have further questions.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Are you still online with me?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.