Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

ADA-I have been reading on-line about this topic, I

Customer Question
ADA-I have been reading...

ADA-I have been reading on-line about this topic, I understand job Accommodation but at my employment our HR department is granting an employee ADA to protect her from excessive absenteeism. Job Accommodation I believe is to enable the employee with a disability to do their job not to allow them sick time off up to 3 days without providing medical documentation when they have a "flare up". Please advise

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Right now management has requested this be looked over by our legal department. I am so wanting to understand ADA, I deal a lot in my job with FML and this to me is how ADA seems to be administered by our HR department

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I do not belong to a union but the employee in question does

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thanks

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/28/2018
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to answer your question.

An ADA accommodation can be to allow intermittent time off work to deal with flare ups. That is not outside the realm of what is normal in terms of accommodations. Even if this were not "required" as an accommodation, an employer may still choose to afford the accommodation to the disabled employee so as to avoid any possibility of litigation. This would be a strategic decision on the part of the employer and not an unwise one at that. In any case, it would not be something you could stop the employer from doing, nor would you be able to require your employer to apply the same policy to all non-disabled employees.

I hope this answers your question. If there is anything else I can do for you, just let me know. It's my pleasure...

Thank you,

You are very welcome. Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns. If I have answered your question, I would be very grateful for a positive rating of my service (using the stars at the top of the page) so that I may receive credit for assisting you.

Very best wishes.