Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My wife was of in October of 2016. She worked for the same…

Customer Question
My wife was laid of...
My wife was laid of in October of 2016. She worked for the same company for over 20 years. Because she was caring for two elderly relatives, until they passed on, she didn't work. She now wants to begin her job search. Can she apply for unemployment? (I believe that if she had applied immediately upon termination, she would have received more than one year's compensation).
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/28/2018
Employment Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

She can try. Unemployment will be granted if she was:

-fired but through no fault of her own;

-laid off due to budget cuts, etc, or

-quit, but had to quit because of a hostile work environment.

You say that she was laid off. If so, and through no fault of her own, she should qualify for unemployment.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.