Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was a surgical tech and had fmla then was diagnosed with…

Customer Question
I was a surgical...

I was a surgical tech and had fmla then was diagnosed with parkinson when I was put on medical leave for a week to have testing done and to see how I was going to be on the medications. My job called me 2 days after and said they were not going to hold my job and let me go was never given the chance to file for short term disability. So lost my insurance so tests had to be put on hold and couldn't get certain medications I couldn't afford without job and insurance.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

This happened in 2011 so is it to late? Yes I talked to everyone except a lawyer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No I wasn't part of a union worked in hospital

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Well I fought for disability for 6 years and tried to do as much as I could afford. I feel that because of that I feel that things progressed faster because I couldn't afford tests and certain meds. So I have Parkinson's, degenerative disc disease had 2 back surgeries and have sojdren syndrome and just had surgery to have 5 teeth removed because of the sojdren syndrome. I was told I qualified for medicad and ssi but kept falling through the cracks finally this past month I was told by social security disability that I should have had it all along and doesn't know how I fell through the cracks and I was only getting 514 a month she said was 200 below base line pay.

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Employment Law
3/29/2018
Employment Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 26 days ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry, but I am having trouble figuring out what your specific question is.

What is your question?

In what state are you located?

Since you are part of the Union, why didn't the Union fight for you by filing for grievance when you were let go?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Is there anyway to try to get the money I should have been given from short term disability? Pain and suffering. I'm in nc I didn't work for a union

Thank you for the clarification.

I thought you belonged to a Union.

Kindly give me a few minutes to research your case and get back to you.

Thank you for your patience.

I am unable to further assist. So, I will opt out to give another Attorney the opportunity to further assist you.

Goodluck with your case,

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thanks
Tina, Lawyer