Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Is anyone familiar with Kari Koskinen statue or law in

Minnesota?...
Is anyone familiar with Kari Koskinen statue or law in Minnesota?
3/28/2018
Ray, Employment lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

The Kari Koskinen Manager Background Check Act, or Minnesota State Statute 299C.66 – 299C.71 says that “the manager” of your building must undergo a background check to insure that they are not a felon. No one convicted of a “background check crime” can be a manager, unless they were employed prior to July 1, 1995. Now the definition of manager is the sticking point. It's not just what you might call the manager. It is anyone who has access to the unit during the course of business. That's right, the maintenance guy is a manager. And so is anyone who has “access to the keys.

No felons including persons convicted of a felony involving first, second, third degree murder, first, and second degree manslaughter, criminal vehicular homicide and injury, first, second, third, and fourth degree assault, simple robbery, false imprisonment, theft, burglary, terroristic threats, kidnapping, first, second, third and fourth degree sexual conduct, first degree arson, or stalking are allowed to work as a residential manager. Also no one convicted of a nonfelony violation of stalking. See Minnesota Statute 299C.67 for a complete list of “background check crimes”

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Ray, Employment lawyer
how can I pass once and fail later with no arrest I was hired as a maintenance technician in 2016 passed I volunteered in 2018 and failed how is that?

It is possible that they added the conviction here late, it likely wasn't there in 20016.The data bank isn't perfect.