Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I had a non compete claus as a full time employee but now I…

I had a non...

I had a non compete claus as a full time employee but now I am part time is it still enforceable

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the non-compete agreement with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I haven’t no

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No union, just an hourly employee and make my own hours now

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That’s all I can think of

3/28/2018
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.
WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
Which state?
Does the agreement contain a specific provision stating it will terminate if you drop to part time, or something similar?
Nebraska, I work in Radio
No it was just a general 8 month non compete
Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get. I just ask that you not shoot the messenger.
There are no statutory provisions defining the rules on non-competes in Nebraska. All of the law comes from court decisions. As a general rule, non-compete agreements will be upheld so long as they meet three requirements:1. The restriction must be reasonable in the sense that it is not injurious to the public. That is to say, the agreement cannot deprive the public of valuable goods and services;
2. The restriction must be reasonable in the sense that it is no greater than reasonably necessary to protect the employer in some legitimate business interest; and
3. The restriction must be reasonable in the sense that it is not unduly harsh and oppressive on the party against whom it is asserted.So, assuming it meets those requirements, it is still enforceable, without any specific provision for termination.
I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheelson this, or blindsided by liability.
That does not mean, of course, that your employer and you can not renegotiate the terms of the agreement or waive it altogether. So, it may be something to revisit with them in light of the current part time employment.I am happy to continue if you have further questions.
If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
I appreciate your time and assistance
You are very welcome.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.
Thank you for using JA.
Loren, Lawyer