Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I work in education, and we have 10 sick days a year that…

Customer Question
I work in education, and...
I work in education, and we have 10 sick days a year that can roll over. These are per academic year. I started on halfway through the 2016-17 academic year to fill a vacated position and took 0 sick days. However, when this new academic year started, I wasn't given any rollover days from the previous academic year. Am I entitled to at least 5 rollover sick days since I worked a half an academic year? Or am I really entitled to no accrued sick days for that half year I worked?
Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Employment Law
3/28/2018
Employment Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 23 days ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Do you have the exact language of the sick policy that I could look at?

Also, what state is this in?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
This is in Georgia
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
The language states that you will have ten sick days per academic year and three of these may be used as personal days. Personal days do not roll over, but sick days do and can be used to take an extended leave.

Thank you.

I'm not 100% clear on Georgia law related to this issue, so I'm going to opt out and let another expert step in. Please do not reply, as that can cause delays. Good luck.

Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 23 days ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR, your previous contributor had to leave.

First, GA law does not regulate sick or PTO, this is regulated by your employer's policy or rules. So if you can please upload a link to those rules regarding sick time accrual so we can see when your sick time was accrued (if it is accrued based on the hours you work or if you get lump sum days at a particular time of the year).

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
x provides employees with up to 10 working days of annual sick leave. Employees may accumulate a maximum of 60 working days of sick leave.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
That is all it says

Thank you for your reply.

Without knowing the accrual type your employer is using, we cannot provide you an accurate answer. For example, some employers use a lump sum accrual on a certain date and any employee who comes in after that date does not get any days until that day the following year. Other employers use an hourly accrual or pay period accrual where you accrue a part of a day per hour or week you work.

Without knowing any of that we have no way to tell you.

What has your HR told you?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I didn't ask yet because I haven't
Needed to go over sick days

Thank you for your reply.

Since every employer has their own policy and it is not an actual state or federal law issue, I am afraid you need to know the whole policy information and that has to come from the employer.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
ThAnks

Sorry that we could not be of much assistance due to the lack of information.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
No problem
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 20 days ago

Have a wonderful weekend

Tina, Lawyer