Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Just have a question about employment. Can a employer offer…

Customer Question
Hi, just have a...

Hi, just have a question about employment. Can a employer offer you a job give you a start date and welcome letter. Then change their mind?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/28/2018
Employment Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Because employment is by default at will, an employer can unfortunately terminate an employee at any time, for any reason. That includes before the person has started working for the company. Making a job offer and giving a start date does not obligate the employer to allow the person to work unless they have signed a contract that states the employee can only be terminated for cause. Otherwise, I'm afraid it is legal.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

they can let you go for no reason. Or take a job offer back if they change their mind

I'm sorry to say, yes, they can. Unless you signed a contract that says otherwise or had a union agreement.

Please rate my service positively, as this is the only way that I get paid for the time spent answering your questions. Thank you.