Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I work for Publix Supermarkets as a Deli Manager. Today my…

Customer Question
I work for Publix...

I work for Publix Supermarkets as a Deli Manager. Today my District Manager demoted me back an an assistant. I was rolsHow could he do that when other managers are

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the demotion with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I will be calling HR tomorrow because I want to appeal.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My personal documents that were under lock and key were removed without my consent. I sent HR an email making them aware that my privacy was invaded.

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Employment Law
3/28/2018
Employment Lawyer: Pheobe Clark, Lawyer replied 23 days ago
Pheobe Clark
Pheobe Clark, Lawyer
Sorry you are experiencing this issue. Employment at will means the employer can make any decision it wants as long as the decision does not violate your civil rights. (If your demotion seemed to be based on age, race, disability, religion, etc.)
If your civil rights have not been violated, your only option is to file a grievance with corporate for the unequal demotion and the invasion of privacy.
If your civil rights have been violated, then you can make a claim of discrimination with the EEOC that people different from you were treated better and treatment of you was discrimination.If I have provided you adequate guidance on this subject, please reward me with a positive rating of five stars so that I can get credit for this session.
Employment Lawyer: Pheobe Clark, Lawyer replied 20 days ago
Hi there! This session is still open. If I have provided you adequate guidance on this subject, please reward me with a positive rating of five stars so that I can get credit for this session and end this session.
Pheobe Clark
Pheobe Clark
Pheobe Clark, Lawyer