Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

If I can't go back to work after FPML. Is it a termination…

If I can't go...

If I can't go back to work after FPML. Is it a termination or am I resigning? They was me to resign. I consider it termination. Am I wrong?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

HR wants my resignation today.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

Atvwill

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just want to know if it is a termination or resignation.

3/27/2018
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to answer your question.

A resignation is by definition voluntary. Therefore you can only truly "resign" if you tell your employer you are resigning, or if you are making the voluntary choice not to come to work. Obviously, if you are physically incapable of returning to work then it cannot be said that you resigned simply by virtue of you not returning. So, unless you affirmatively state your intent to resign, you have not resigned.

In that case, it is up to your employer to keep you on the books as an employee or to "terminate" your employment. They can CALL it whatever they want--no law forces an employer to use specific words--but the LAW will not regard it as a resignation unless you actually tell your employer you are resigning, or unless you are physically capable of working and refuse to go in to work.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Patrick, Esq.