Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can FMLA legally be taken to care for my dependent daughter…

Hi. Can FMLA...

Hi. Can FMLA legally be taken to care for my dependent daughter who is experiencing a high-risk pregnancy.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I submitted my FMLA paperwork. I work for the State of Florida. The HR representative said that the paperwork had to be submitted within 15 days of my request, but the OBGYN did not return the paperwork in a timely manner. I'm now worried it won't be approved. My daughter has not delivered yet, so I haven't needed the leave thus far.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes. My husband has chronic lung disease due to occupational exposure. I have been approved for intermittent FMLA to care for him when he travels to the Mayo Clinic. This FMLA would be in addition to the already approved FMLA.

3/27/2018
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to answer your question.

Yes, this would generally be a valid use of FMLA leave. So, provided you have not exhausted your 12 weeks for the year, and provided you give your employer as much notice as is reasonably possible to give, you would generally have protection under the FMLA for time off you require to care for your daughter's serious pregnancy-related health conditions.

I hope this helps. If there is anything else I can do for you, just let me know. It's my pleasure.

Patrick, Esq.