Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I work in the bar industry and recently found out my

Customer Question
I work in the...

I work in the bar industry and recently found out my employer is taking money from our paychecks to make up for company losses but hasn't been telling us, is this legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this wage-and-hour issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No the wages are 8 dollars and hour plus tips. She claims she she's doing this because of negligence from the staff but she can't prove which one of the staff members are in the wrong so she decided to start taking money's out of everyone's paycheck to rectify her losses

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No union. I'm not sure what at "will means" but I think I am

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have text messages of her threatening to take money from my paycheck for a bar tab the was unpaid but it was my tab and she can't prove it. Other then that that's most of it

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/27/2018
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 2 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with extensive labor law experience. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney‑client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

What state are you located in?

Florida
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 2 months ago

Thank you for providing that information.

Answer: Unfortunately, Florida does not have any laws regarding what deductions may or may not be taken from an employees paycheck or whether an employee must provide written consent prior to any deduction. The lack of a law prohibiting deductions likely means an employer can withhold or deduct wages from an employee's paycheck for:

• cash shortages;
  • breakage, damage, or loss of the employer’s property;
  • dishonored or returned checks;
  • required uniforms;
  • required tools; or
  • other items necessary for employment.

In accordance with federal law, an employer may not make deductions for any of the above-listed items if it would cause the employee to earn less than federal minimum wage for the period in which the deduction was made.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you, but hope this will not affect your rating of my service.

Rating & Additional Questions:

• Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions. Please ask me as many questions as you need. There is no additional fee.
  • If you ask a follow‑up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.
  • If you are dissatisfied with my response, please let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can "Opt Out" and your question can be re‑posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.
  • If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today.
  • A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.