Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I own a Home Health Agency. Thinking of changing paying my…

Customer Question
I own a Home...

I own a Home Health Agency. Thinking of changing paying my nurses from hourly to salary. What does the law say about how to calculate actual time worked. What do you do about weekend call? What if they don't work 40 hours a week and then have weekend call? What if they do work 40 hours a week and have to see patient's on weekend? Trying to think of all case before we change.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No. I own the company. Just thinking of what we might do.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No, we do not belong to a union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. Just want to do the right thing

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/27/2018
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 4 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with extensive labor law experience. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney‑client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Answer: If you transfer the nurses to a salary basis, then all of the questions you have asked are no longer a consideration. None of the considerations you have mentioned apply to exempt (salaried) employees. The only important consideration is whether you can legally designate them as exempt. Please click here to review the Department of Labor requirements for exempt employees.

Exempt employees do not need to have their hours worked tracked and may be scheduled to work the entire week.

Rating & Additional Questions:

• Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions. Please ask me as many questions as you need. There is no additional fee.
  • If you ask a follow‑up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.
  • If you are dissatisfied with my response, please let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can AOpt [email protected] and your question can be re‑posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.
  • If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today.
  • A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.