Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was fired from my Salon, I signed a no compete. I have…

Customer Question
I was fired from...

I was fired from my Salon, I signed a no compete. I have been threatened that they have sent papers to their attorneys. I’m currently working within the 5 mile radius of the contract. I did not know this was legit considering my termination.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Not yet. I discussed it that day.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I’m just not sure of anything actually. I’m so new to this sort of thing considering I went to work for 23 years and never thought about it.

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 25 days ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney‑client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Before I can provide assistance, please answer the following questions:

1. What state are you located in?
  2. What is your question exactly?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Georgia, my question is should I worry? Do I have anything to stand on. Some of my employment is unique.
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 25 days ago

Unique in what sense?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Sorry I’ve tried to update payment so I could speak with you but it just won’t go through and there’s nothing wrong with my card
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 25 days ago

No problem. I prefer to speak through this chat and save you the extra money of a phone call. If you still feel like a phone call would be beneficial after we have finished our chat, then we can try to set it up at that time.

Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 25 days ago

Please explain what is unique about your former employment?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Well my forMy former boss sold the salon to another company and I work for that company for 20 years and then I just worked for this company for three years and said I had to sign a new contract but I don’t really clearly remember every detail about it but it was just such whirlwind. They are a huge salon too. But my clients are contacting me and do not want to go back.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
they did nothing for me after fire me. And I’m 40 years old
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
My career will be over.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Sorry I drifted I was with a client.
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 25 days ago

Please give me a moment to review and respond.

Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 25 days ago

Thank you for providing that information.

Answer: Unfortunately, non-compete agreements are lawful in Georgia and the information you provided about the agreement seems to indicate that it is lawful. You should confirm that the agreement is reasonable in terms of time, geographical area, and the scope of activity to be restrained. A 5 mile radius would certainly be considered reasonable under most circumstances. As long as the duration of the agreement is not too long (subjective) it would be valid. You should thoroughly review the non-compete to see what it restricts. For example, it may prevent you from contacting former clients, but not prevent you from taking on former clients if they contact you.

Rating & Additional Questions:

• Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions. Please ask me as many questions as you need. There is no additional fee.
  • If you ask a follow‑up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.
  • If you are dissatisfied with my response, please let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can "Opt Out" and your question can be re‑posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.
  • If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today.
  • A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.
Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi