Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was terminated by my company after having an in depth

Customer Question
I was terminated by...

I was terminated by my company after having an in depth meeting with a corporate manager about favoritism and preferential treatment going on in my pharmacy. To the point one employee was stealing company time and the manager was bending standard operating procedures for her benefit amd no other employees

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I spoke with morgan and morgam and they declined the case

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

Not an at will employee and did not belong to a union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I had emailed the district manager in January and she showed up for in depth interviews on 3/14 and focused on my absences as well as the rest and then i was fired 3/22

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/27/2018
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 3 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Why do you say you are "not an at will employee" Do you have some type of written employment contract?

Was the conduct towards you based only on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin?

Did you have absences?

I signed hiring paperwork. After my 90day probationary period, I became a full employee subject to strict requirements by corp policy on how i could be terminated.I did have absences. No one got approved absences except the manager's preferred employee.And the manager I had at Walmart pharmacy is the same manager i had at cvs pharmacy- he made it clear he didn't like me. I went to walmart and he came over several months later as the new manager. And we've butted heads and had borderline retaliation events in the 2 years we've been working together. He reluctantly gave me full time. And after i blew the whistle on his preferential treatment I'm fired.

Thank you for your reply.

Just because you signed employment paperwork does not mean it is an employment contract. I am a also quite sure (from having seen other Walmart documents) that the paperwork says your employment is at will. Furthermore, as far as their "strict requirements" if you read their employee manual it tells you in there that nothing in that manual can be deemed a contract for employment.

Preferential treatment is not illegal in general. Preferential treatment based only on age/race/sex/disability/national origin is illegal. So you are not a "whistleblower" in legal terms if you are not reporting ILLEGAL conduct.

Also, even if you did report the illegal conduct, that does not excuse the absences (which is a separate issue). So, if they did have legitimate grounds to terminate based on the absences they could do so, even though you complained about the preferential treatment.

HOWEVER, if you have proof that the manager did this to you based only on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin, you need to file a complaint with the EEOC and they will investigate and give you a right to sue letter. Until you get such a letter from the EEOC that is why large firms like Morgan & Morgan are refusing your case.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.