Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have been involved in a crazy custody battle. My ex's

Customer Question
I have been involved in...
I have been involved in a crazy custody battle. My ex's attorney sent my workplace a request for a copy of my compensation and benefits. Instead, my workplace sent a copy of my medical records without my awareness or approval. I was never informed by that attorney that they had received my records until we asked for discovery. Since then, they have been sending my medical records to every professional they are consulting.Firstly, isn't that a violation of my HIPAA rights, and secondly, do I have a case against my workplace for sending my records without approval?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/27/2018
Employment Lawyer: Ray, Employment lawyer replied 2 months ago
Ray, Employment lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Yes it is a HIPAA violation both to the employer for releasing them and the lawyer for sending these to other parties all without your consent.You may report these to HHS.

File here

https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/filing-a-complaint/index.html

Your lawyer can send cease and desist letters to both and then sue here as well for damages for invasion of your medical privacy.

I am so sorry that this happened to you.I appreciate the chance to help you today.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.Prayers to you with all of this.