Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Yale University has implemented what they call HEP (Health…

Yale University has implemented...

Yale University has implemented what they call HEP (Health Expectations program). If we do not sign up with a company called HealthMine then we will be charged 25 per week per person (two people for this case). Can they force us to provide access to our health information to a separate entity under the threat of charging us if we do not? The Yale Health Plan which I and my family are members of, has all our health information. HealthMine apparently is a company that verifies you are getting certain healthcare services at a certain age bracket. This information is already contained in the Yale Health plan and our medical records so there is no need for an outside company to view, maintain, or verify it. Is this legal? It seems to be a small version of extortion since we have to pay if we don't provide access to our medical information to an outside company. Thanks very much,

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Nobody yet. It was something the union and University agreed to in the last contract which started this past January. But there was no mention of being forced to pay if we do not provide the information to an outside company.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

The state (CT) is at will, there are protections against firing and layoffs (90 days notice and eligible for up to 18 months (paid and time accrues) in the employment pool which gives you first priority for a position you qualify for.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

3/27/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Not only is it legal, it is becoming a trend to try to minimize healthcare costs. These insurers are using healthcare monitoring programs to force participants to get preventative care to keep down higher costs in the event the person gets sick from ignoring preventative measures. The outside company is bound to HIPAA rules just like the insurer is bound.

Since the union has agreed to this as part of the contract, all the members whether they like it or not are bound to this plan. It is actually something that is quite common though and employees are not forced to participate if they want to pay a little more for their insurance.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.