Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

What is considered unreasonable refusing 1 day of annual…

Customer Question
Hi, what is considered...

Hi, what is considered unreasonable refusing 1 day of annual leave?

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I put in my form with 2 weeks notice to my manager for Friday 6 April off and it was refused because too many in the office are on leave (2 people)

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No union - office environment. I’m an account manager

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not in relation to this evening except to say I have found this manager to be unreasonable

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/27/2018
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. (The system will automatically generate a phone call request to you. Unless I specifically state, during our discussion, that a phone call is possible, I intend to just use this chat format as I am not in a position to accept a phone call).

On these facts, you wouldn't have a claim of unreasonable granting of vacation. It's actually nearly impossible to make that claim without the employer having a very strict policy about when they can refuse leave. Otherwise, it is a very discretionary function for employers and you'd have to establish intentional discrimination based on race, religion, gender, age, disability or FMLA use, in order for their decision to be illegal.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Please DON’T rate my service until after you have asked any follow up questions that you have, so that I have the best opportunity to earn all 5 stars. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care, have a great day and please don’t forget to rate my service.