Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Last weekend I had to call into work sick because my family…

Last weekend I had...

Last weekend I had to call into work sick because my family had influenza A and I was sympotmatic. My doctor didnt perform any labs but still dignosed me based on my daughter positive lab results. I work for a long term care facility and when I told my director of nursing and my head nurse I have influnza A they told me I needed to provide my lab results from my doctor stating that I do have influenza a.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Yes. I spoke to cooperate/ HR about this and she said thats its a policy. When I asked for the policy she then said. I dont have the policy its a state regulation or policy. Going foreward I can not gind anywhere that states I need to provide my lab results to my employer. I am in belief this is a HIPPA law

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I do not beling to the union. And what does "at will" mean exactly?

3/27/2018
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to answer your question.

There is no legal requirement that an employee provide lab results. However, an employer would be entitled to a doctor's note certifying that you were unable to work due to illness. If you were terminated specifically due to your refusal to provide specific lab results, that would generally give rise to a legal claim for violation of the Americans With Disabilities Act, which prohibits employers from requiring the disclosure of such information.

Typically the best thing to do would be to provide your employer a doctor's note certifying that you were ill along with an explanation that the ADA prohibits them from requesting specific medical information. This way there is documentation in the event they take adverse employment action against you.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Thank you this is what I thought. I did give them a doctors note stating I was seen and couldnt work due to illness and they are still pestering me. I will have my doctor write another note stating what you recommended. Thank you so much for the assistance.

You are very welcome, I'm glad I could help. Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns. If I have answered your question, I would be very grateful for a positive rating of my service (using the stars at the top of the page) so that I may receive credit for assisting you.

Very best wishes.

Patrick, Esq.