Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

A lady was interviewed and offered a job. She never

A lady was interviewed...

A lady was interviewed and offered a job. She never responded to the offer and now has filed a Title 7 lawsuit against the company. I was deposed as a witness. I did the depo over a week ago. I have been offered another job. What are the ramifications to me if I take another job at this point? The case is still in discovery and has not been set for trial at this time. Can the plaintiffs attorney come at me for leaving my position with the company?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has she discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I am HR. However I had no authorization to set the salary rate for the position she was offered nor did I have authorization to say who got hired. That was all handled by the GM.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

At will. Salaries.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The plaintiffs attorney has tried to tarnish my reputation. He even called my ex whom I divorced 10 plus years ago to see if he would say bad things about me. Which he didn’t. I just want to know my rights if I decide to leave the current employer.

3/26/2018
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. (The system will automatically generate a phone call request to you. Unless I specifically state, during our discussion, that a phone call is possible, I intend to just use this chat format as I am not in a position to accept a phone call).

No, there would be no basis for an attorney to sue you for leaving your employment. That is not an issue at all. I would call the state bar association though and make a complaint against the attorney, based on contacting your ex.

You can certainly still be talked to about the matter and subpoenaed' for trial, but your decision to leave is not a basis for any sort of action against you or even a line of questioning.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Please DON’T rate my service until after you have asked any follow up questions that you have, so that I have the best opportunity to earn all 5 stars. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

May I ask another question?

Yes

During my deposition I dubbed about something however I later did an errata sheet and came clean. Can I go to jail for that?

Jail? Unlikely. Technically, you lied under oath and a court could hold you in contempt for that, but rarely do we see that happen.

Mostly, it will just be brought up during the trial to discredit your testimony.

can The plaintiff file a civil suit against me for anything?

In that situation, no. It just is not worth the expense, effort or time.

You corrected it in the errata sheet, so they will just use that to benefit them. Their main target is the employer.

Thank you. That’s all.

Take care.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer