Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am a teacher and I have been harassed by my principal for…

I am a teacher...

I am a teacher and I have been harassed by my principal for the last two months. It has caused me to be put on medical leave and medicated with anxiety and stress meds. I don't want to go back to that environment and have to next week? Do I have any recourse?

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this harassment issue discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No, we don't have an HR department and we only have a grievance committee, but they are not familiar with the process.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I belong to the NEA and I am an at will employee.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I do not want to be sent back in to a hostile environment. I want to be put on paid leave until the school year is over.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/26/2018
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

What I would suggest is reaching out to a local employment lawyer in your area who can help you with your case. Not only could be you be put on leave for the rest of the school year, but you could potentially have a claim for damages due to the hostile nature of the work environment.

The other option is to go above the principal and talk to the superintendent, explain the situation, and that if they don't resolve the situation, you will be speaking to a lawyer. However, this is riskier than going to a lawyer first because the superintendent may side with the principal rather than you, which could make your life worse rather than better.

Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer
Thelawman2
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer