Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am wondering if an exempt employe can claim overtime when…

Customer Question
Hello i am wondering...

Hello i am wondering if an exempt employe can claim overtime when working regularly over 10 hours a day for 6 days of the week? Some days 12-18

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this wage-and-hour issue discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

The position held was a supervisor position and it was salary based. it was union but the supervisor weren't part of the union

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Employment Law
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
worked for an agriculture company also was asked to relocate for the season to yuma in which hours there varied from 10-12 occasional 12-18 especially on the holidays. no other supervisor put in those hours be me.
3/26/2018
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 26 days ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under the Fair Labor Standard Act, an exempt employee is not entitled to any overtime absent an employment contract that states overtime would be paid. So whether or not overtime is required for a salary employee is solely discretionary with the employer and any contract with the employer.

If you were a supervisory employee and as such entitled to be claimed as exempt, then legally they could force you to work as many hours as needed without additional pay unless there was a written contract to the contrary with you.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney