Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

One more thing about the unemployment question. Is there a…

Hey Phillip, one more thing...
Hey Phillip, one more thing about the unemployment question. Is there a timeline in which I can send that request. It has been about 8 months since they've been sending the demand for over payment.
Also as far as a payment arrangement, I am over $5,000 in debt to them. Everytime I call they want me to pay that off before I even discuss a payment arrangement.
3/27/2018
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for requesting for my assistance once more.

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was offline when your response came in.

Kindly give me a few minutes to review the information that you have provided and prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Question:

Hey Phillip, one more thing about the unemployment question. Is there a timeline in which I can send that request. It has been about 8 months since they've been sending the demand for over payment..

Response 1: Unfortunately, you had 30 days from the date of the notice to file for waiver or appeal. You are now time barred from making the request. See Revised Code of Washington Title 50 Chapter 50.20 Section 50.20.190.

Response 2: I am sorry to read about that. Well, they are making it difficult for you to make payment to them. Instead of calling, send a written request for payment arrangement using the other options provided on the website:

Other contact options for Benefit Payment Control:
Fax: 1-***-***-**** | Email: *****@******.***

https://www.esd.wa.gov/unemployment/overpayments-repaying

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Hi Phillip, thank you for the useful information. I will give you another 5 star rating and add you as one of my favorite professionals.At this time are you saying that there is no way to appeal? I'm assuming that is what you mean and what I mean is more of trying to determine if there are any other possible loopholes or settlements that I can do. I owe them almost $20,000. Have you heard them settling for less if you do a lump sum or is there anyway after the statute of limitations to appeal or a loophole of some sort to reduce the fee or explain the situation? As far as your knowledge is concerned... Just want to pick your brain one more time :) Thank you, you've been very helpful.

Thank you for the information.

Thank you for your patience.

At this time are you saying that there is no way to appeal?

Response 2: Unfortunately, yes, that's what I am saying. The time to appeal or ask for a waiver has passed.

I'm assuming that is what you mean and what I mean is more of trying to determine if there are any other possible loopholes or settlements that I can do.

Response 3: Apart from getting an installment payment plan, I know of no other options under the circumstances, unfortunately.

I owe them almost $20,000. Have you heard them settling for less if you do a lump sum or is there anyway after the statute of limitations to appeal or a loophole of some sort to reduce the fee or explain the situation?

Response 4: Unfortunately, no. The time to appeal or ask for reduction has passed. The best you can hope for now is an affordable installment. However, if the agency continues to be uncooperative, you may consider filing for Chapter 7 bankruptcy if you are eligible to wipe out the debt. Kindly note that the agency may file an objection to your bankruptcy case and if they prevail, the debt would not be erased. However, if they do not file an objection, which is usually what happens, the debt would be wiped out if you receive a Discharge Order from the Bankruptcy Court.

You would be eligible to file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection, if you meet the Means Test—the income test. If your income is equal to or less than the current income guidelines for your family size in your state, you would be eligible to file for a Chapter 7 bankruptcy all things being equal. The income used in calculating the Means Test is the income for the 6 months before the filing of the bankruptcy petition. This means that if you are filing for bankruptcy protection this month, March 2018, the income that would be used is your income from September 2017 to February 2018. If you are filing next month, April 2018, the income that would be used in the Means Test calculation would be the income from October 2017 to March 2018, etc.

Click on the link below to see the current income guidelines for your state:

http://www.justice.gov/ust/means-testing

https://www.justice.gov/ust/eo/bapcpa/20171101/bci_data/median_income_table.htm

The filling fee for Chapter 7 is $335.00. You may able to waive this filing fee if your income is 150% below the current poverty guidelines. Click here for current poverty guidelines:

http://search.uscourts.gov/search?affiliate=uscourts.gov&locale=en&query=poverty%20guidelines

You must receive budget and credit counseling from an approved credit counseling agency and obtain a Certificate of Credit Counselling to be filed with your bankruptcy case. The agency will review possible options available to you in credit counseling and assist you in reviewing your budget. Different agencies provide the counseling in-person, by telephone, or over the Internet.

It is usually a good idea for you to meet with an attorney before you receive the required credit counseling. Unlike a credit counselor, who cannot give legal advice, an attorney can provide counseling on whether bankruptcy is the best option. If bankruptcy is not the right answer for you, a good attorney will offer a range of other suggestions. The attorney can also provide you with a list of approved credit counseling agencies, or you can check the website for the United States Trustee Program office at http://www.usdoj.gov/ust/eo/bapcpa/ccde/cc_approved.htm

After your case is filed, you must complete an approved course in personal finances. This course will take approximately two hours to complete. Your attorney can give you a list of organizations that provide approved courses, or you can check the website for the United States Trustee Program office at http://www.usdoj.gov/ust/eo/bapcpa/ccde/de_approved.htm

Consult a local bankruptcy attorney for further explanations of your rights and responsibilities.

The sites below are good resources for finding bankruptcy attorneys in your area:

http://www.nacba.org/

http://www.consumeradvocates.org

http://www.justia.com/

http://www.lawyers.com/

If you cannot afford an Attorney, then the next best alternative will be to use bankruptcy petition preparer. Bankruptcy petition preparers prepare bankruptcy forms but they cannot give you legal advice because they are not attorneys. You can do a search on Google to find bankruptcy petition preparers.

Best wishes,

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Thank you Phillip, you've been awesome!