Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have been let go by my employer. I work for a Catholic…

Customer Question
Hi, I have been...

Hi, I have been let go by my employer. I work for a Catholic church school. I have been told that the church is exempt from paying unemployment tax because it is a church. This means that I won't get unemployment. Is this true? Are there any other benefits I could get? I find it reprehensible that I could work for a Catholic church school for 5 yeras, be fired and not have any recourse and not receive unemployment. Any help would be appreciated.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I discussed the termination with an employment law lawyer and was told I did not have a case. We are a dioscesan school so I guess I need to contact the hr person for the diocese.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I do not belong to a union. I do not know what an at will employee is.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is this service free? what is an at will employee?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.