Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was called into my company office by one of the

Customer Question
Hello i was called...

Hello i was called into my company office by one of the administrators ********. I was unsure what was going on so I asked if I cold bring someone. Michelle asked a consumer? I answered no.I was thinking I wanted a union rep present. She insisted to come to the office now. So I left immediately for the ******** Office. Upon arrival there were several chairs out on the office floor. With time the chairs filled with the director, a couple of supervisors and i believe one other person and myself. I by the way, was on the opposite site of most of the people present. The meeting began with a with Ms. ****** asking questions. Several days earlier the person I was working with rushed into the bathroom of a house we were at during my shift. She locked the door and found some scissors and began to give herself a hair cut. I could not see or hear anything that she was doing. I thought she was taking a long time and asked several times for her to unlock the door. She did not open the door and I had to jimmy the lock to get into the bathroom. When I entered she had found scissors and cut her hair. I told her she should not have done that and that she said she had to go to the bathroom. So at the office meeting I was asked questions referring to the incident regarding the client's self made hair cut. For example Ms. ********* asked me if Barbara(the lady who cut her hair ) was in the bathroom by herself. I answered yes. The she asked this same question about six more times to which I answered yes.( I at this point was tired of the question and did not understand the point of the meeting. Initially I told Michelle the day of the incident that I was not in the bathroom with Barb when she cut her hair. She knew this. At the meeting I was telling Michelle and the entire group I was not in the bathroom with Barbara when she cut her hair. Being a little puzzled as to what all the questioning was about I just answered the questions in a truthful manner. Then Michelle started saying other things and the specifics escape me but she made me believe that I had not only done the wrong thing with Barb but that I wasn't doing my job at all. So I asked you mean I have been doing my job wrong for twenty years? There was a long silence. By Michelle and the entire group I was still a little confused about what this whole thing was. It reminded me of the Nuremberg trials after World War 2. So i said ok lets get this done and I signed some papers as Michelle told me what they were and some specifics about things like keeping my benefits through work. I felt i had no choice but to go along with the firing and no support during the entire meeting.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

You mean since then? No

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I thought I joined the union years before but I'm not sure when.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No not that I can think of right now.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/26/2018
Employment Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

You should ask your union to inquire about as to what this investigation is leading to. At this point, without knowing,what their objectives were in this questioning, it is hard to tell you what your next steps need to be. You can also ask your HR rep for a copy of your personnel file.

I was happy with Mr. Rahman answer.