Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I had my job as marketing sales manager terminated on

I had my job...

I had my job as marketing sales manager terminated on 3/16/2018 . My District Manager and his boss called to say The Client no longer needed a rep I'm my area and even though I was a great employee I was terminated immediately. The marketing company would be calling me to get me another position, they did not want to lose me as I worked for them since 2003. My boss said he would be happy to give me a great reference, again stating I did nothing wrong, the area was the problem.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

A week later I looked at the website and saw my job listed as an opportunity in my exact territory.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I did not discuss it with anyone yet. No I am not in a union , I am 68 yrs old and feel my age may have been a factor. I have collected emails statng I was doing a great job. This just came after weeks of stress and humiliation to try to glean sales from his territory.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I believe that is the base for my question. Thank You

3/26/2018
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. (The system will automatically generate a phone call request to you. Unless I specifically state, during our discussion, that a phone call is possible, I intend to just use this chat format as I am not in a position to accept a phone call).

At this stage, you need to contact the EEOC in your state and have them investigate the matter. You do not need an attorney, as the EEOC is not a court. They are an investigatory agency and will just need your allegation and any evidence that you have as a starting point for their investigation.

The employer here will have an issue, because they made claims to you that were not true. They could have just terminated, based on your being an "at will" employee, and been truthful about it. However, their lies here appear as a pretext for an underlying reason that they could not be honest about, most often suggesting discrimination.

The EEOC can use that to investigate more closely and perhaps find even more convincing evidence of their basis for the termination. Regardless, the EEOC will give you their evidence and the right to sue, which is required before you can take any other action against them.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Please DON’T rate my service until after you have asked any follow up questions that you have, so that I have the best opportunity to earn all 5 stars. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Thank you for your quick reply, I was on EEOC site and was re-elected here. Ok appreciate your time and will move forward.

If you have any further questions, please just let me know.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
I have an appt with EEOC on July 3,2018. My question is , if Marketsource contacts me should I respond? I will be filing for unemployment and do not want to do anything to jeopardize that. I certainly won't feel comfortable working with them after this episode. LG was threatening termination and humiliating us over the past few months trying to get sales. My nerves are totally shot. my stores had very little traffic or stock, I explained all that but they still insisted I do better. Perhaps my sales of 20 phones in March caused LG to feel my Reading territory might be worth keeping a rep. No need for a quick reply, I am going to bed , sleep has not been kindly to me with this mess, perhaps beginning the process with EEOC will help me relax. Thanks in advance for your time once again.

There is no need to respond to them at this point. You can just let they communications go unanswered and when the EEOC gets in contact with them, they'll stop reaching out to you.