Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My Mother is 86 and needs me to take her to a lot of medical…

Customer Question
My Mother is 86 and...
My Mother is 86 and needs me to take her to a lot of medical treatments and appointments. Can I apply for FMLA to take off on day per week to help my Mother? I plan to make all of her appointments on the same day each week in an effort to help my employer plan ahead. I work at the VA.
Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 28 days ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks for your patience. The answer to your question is yes; you can apply for FMLA if it is take take care of your mother.

Under the Family Medical Leave Act (“FMLA”) eligible employees may take up to twelve (12) weeks off of their position to care for themselves or a family member (this includes sons, daughters, and parents) that are dealing with a serious health condition. The employee is entitled to return to their same or similar job. A family member does not include in-laws, but does include a spouse and a child. or a parent. An eligible employee is one that has worked for their employer for the past twelve (12) months and has worked at least 1,250 hours in those past twelve (12) months. The employer must also be covered under FMLA before they are required to provide FMLA leave. A covered employer typically only has to have at least fifty (50) employees within a seventy-five (75) mile radius for at least twenty (20) workweeks in the current or preceding calendar year. Also, an employer is required to provide employees with notice of their rights under the FMLA And is required to provide you with notice of your FMLA rights when they have knowledge of a triggering event.

Thus, so long as you and your employer both qualify, you can apply.

Did you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further before you rated. If you have any other questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer