Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have some property lost by my boss during a move of our…

Customer Question
I have some property...

I have some property lost by my boss during a move of our office from one building to another while I am on leave taking care of my wife. They are 4 library books I had borrowed from a library at Penn State University. I told my boss about the books twice prior to the move and he agreed to take care of them. It appears that the movers through them out and no one is able to locate them. The library is looking into this but I may be required to pay as much as $600. This happened at the College of Education at Penn State University. My boss refuses to take responsibility. Human Resources and the Associate Dean have told me that it is the policy of the College of Education and Penn State not to reimburse someone like me in this instance. Do I have any recourse in small claims court or anything else?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I have only discussed it with the HR manager for the College of Education.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No, I don't be long to a union.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, thank you.

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Employment Law
3/25/2018
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 25 days ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. (The system will automatically generate a phone call request to you. Unless I specifically state, during our discussion, that a phone call is possible, I intend to just use this chat format as I am not in a position to accept a phone call).

You could sue the individual in small claims based on his promise to take care of the matter. It would be a promise that you reasonably relied on during the taking care of your wife, and a court may then consider that your boss took on the fiduciary duty of taking care of the books based on your reasonable reliance.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Please DON’T rate my service until after you have asked any follow up questions that you have, so that I have the best opportunity to earn all 5 stars. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
This is exactly what I was looking for. If I have more questions, I will contact you again. This is a great service and I will be back.Joe Bigler

No problem. Take care and please rate my service before you go.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I just got an email that says I will be charged the full $47. I thought I was getting a 7 day free trial according to the website.

I am just a contractor. I don't work on the financial side. However, from what I understand, the free trial relates to reviewing other's questions and asking as many questions as you wish.

However, this is intended to be a pay site. When you are satisfied with a response and choose to rate an attorney's service, you are charged. You can certainly choose to never rate an attorney's service.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer