Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Our wellness and yoga center rents out its yoga studio for…

Our wellness and yoga center...
Our wellness and yoga center rents out its yoga studio for events, workshops and courses. Does the center has to provide a liability waiver for the renters clients? Are we liable in any way? The third party is paying us to rent the space and all we are doing is providing the space and allowing the renter to place flyers at our center as well at our social media site with a clause indicating it is a private event. Please advice
3/25/2018
Patrick, Esq.

Hello again and thank you for your new question.

Theoretically, if someone is injured on your premise during an event held by the third party renting the facility, you could be sued IF the injured party can argue that they were injured due to something on the premises which you knew or should have known created a dangerous condition. For example, say their arm got impaled on an exposed nail. That would be something you should have known about and thus you could be liable even though you did not directly invite the person on to your premises.

The best way to limit your liability in these situations is to include what's called an indemnification clause in your contract. This is a clause saying that if you are sued for any injury occurring on the property that the renter will pay for your defense and any judgment rendered against you. Basically it "immunizes" you so that if you are sued, you do not suffer the financial consequences of the lawsuit.

You can also insist that the renter include a clause in THEIR contract with clients coming toy our facility in which the clients waive their right to bring any claim for injury arising from negligence.

Finally, and this is probably the most obvious suggestion, make sure you have a good liability insurance policy.

I hope this helps!

Patrick, Esq.