Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am the ED at an animal shelter. I have been in that

Second opinion] I am...

Second opinion] I am the ED at an animal shelter. I have been in that position for 12 years now and being the first and only ED to this point. Over the years I have repeatedly gone to the board for assistance in polices especially ones concerning the staff and volunteers. We recently had some problems with a few employees and our past president let them go under the basis that their job titles had been dissolved. Well, that started a huge war with disgruntled employees and some disgruntled volunteers who were released over the years for not following policy and procedures. Now, all of a sudden our new President is meeting with these individuals; taking everything they say into consideration not allowing myself or any of the other employees the right have a say in defense. We still have not found replacements so the two workers and worked now for 30 days+ without a day off. I received this email from the president with what I would refer to as a bunch of crap, especially from someone who has never been involved from the beginning. One insert from the email " The Board has also recently received reports from former employees and former volunteers that claim you have intimidated or yelled at staff and volunteers. This also cannot happen. The Shelter will not tolerate bullying, intimidation, or harassing behaviors of anyone by any staff or volunteers. The Board is reviewing and updating its employee handbook, volunteer manual, and other policies related to human resources�please provide us any thoughts you have related to human resources policies or needs that you believe would benefit the Shelter." During this process, I am having serious medical problems that they are aware of. Knowing I need time off (which I have due to me through vacation and sick pay) they haven't made any effort to help us at the shelter. In saying all of this, I have not been invited to one of these meetings. Everything is being done behind my back. What do you suggest I do. Is there any illegal violations in your opinion. Thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

We do not have an HR person. The shelter retained an lawyer however I am coming to learn that she is basically representing the board and not me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

Ohio is an at will state and no union.

3/25/2018
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to answer your question.

The facts you describe are understandably frustrating. However, employers have extremely vast discretion when it comes to how they choose to run their business. This freedom comes from the fact that employment is "at will" absent an agreement to the contrary, meaning the employment can be terminated or modified at any time for virtually any reason. There is no requirement that employers be generally fair or reasonable, or that they refrain from undermining their staff.

Unfortunately, this would seem like a problem that can only be resolved on an interpersonal level. The law is most likely not going to be of any assistance to you in this situation. I am very sorry.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Patrick, Esq.