Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am a FERS employee with 9 years of service. I am 57 and…

Customer Question
I am a FERS...

I am a FERS employee with 9 years of service. I am 57 and understand I cannot defer retirement now. But can I resign, cash in y vacation hours now and claim my annuity at age 62 years old

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

A little but only from the stand point of deferring retirement versus resigning immediately

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

Yes, there is a union

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
3/25/2018
Employment Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 1 month ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will wait, thank you
Employment Lawyer: Pheobe Clark, Lawyer replied 28 days ago
Pheobe Clark
Pheobe Clark, Lawyer
https://hr.nih.gov/benefits/retirement/fers-separation-non-retirement
If your current policy or Handbook says that you can still receive all earned vacation pay if you resign, then you should be able to resign and claim your annuity in either one of the ways described in the link above that discusses non retirement separation.
If you have five or more years of creditable civilian service, you have 2 options:(1) Deferred annuity - Leave your money in the retirement fund and apply for a deferred annuity once you meet the age and service requirements.
If you do not file a beneficiary form (SF-3102) and die before the commencing date of your annuity, your benefits will be paid in the normal order of precedence.(2) Refund of retirement deductions – Complete an application for a refund (SF-3106). If you submit the form within 30 days of separation, return it to the Benefits Office. After 30 days, forward it to OPM at the address on the form.
I hope that I have understood your question correctly? If I have please forward me with a positive rating of five stars so that I can get credit for the session. If I did not answer your question for me please let me know how I can be of further assistance. Thanks!
Pheobe Clark
Pheobe Clark
Pheobe Clark, Lawyer