Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was off this month. I will be paid next 4 month as a

I was laid off this...
I was laid off this month. I will be paid next 4 month as a severance package. So I can get unemployment compensation after this period. However the company I worked for wants to get me back as a contractor. The term of a contract could be 6 month. After the contract will be finished, can I apply for and get unemployment compensation? Or I will be considered already as independent contractor and will not be eligible for the unemployment? The state is Colorado.
Thank you,
Nelli
3/25/2018
Ray, Employment lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Hi Ray! Thank you.

You can file for UI benefits here, they won't begin until your 4 months of severance are up.I would file, report severance and see if they come up with a contract and then report it otherwise your UI benefits kick in then.

Keep your options open by filing now and reporting the severance.

I appreciate the chance to help you and wish you the best here.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Thank you very much for your suggestion! I got the idea - to file for UI now, before getting contract (if so), and then I will see...report all income...Thank you!

You are so welcome ,prayers to you with all of this.Thanks again and thanks for rating 5 stars at top of page.Have a good evening.

Ray, Employment lawyer