Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am an employed disabled adult woman; I have ADHD, PTSD,

Customer Question
anxiety, and chronic depression, and...
I am an employed disabled adult woman; I have ADHD, PTSD, anxiety, and chronic depression, and am an addict in recovery, dependent on opiate replacement therapy.
Under the ADA, what types of accommodations am I entitled to?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
3/24/2018
Employment Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

The ADA doesn't provide for specific accommodations. Instead, as every disabled person may have different needs, it allows for an employee to request reasonable accommodations from their employer. To put it another way, you can request from your employer what accommodations you need. Under the ADA, employers are required to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified employees with disabilities, unless doing so would pose an undue hardship. Qualified employees are those who hold the necessary degrees, skills, and experience for the job; and who can perform its essential functions, with or without an accommodation.

Examples of accommodations can include things like a modified work schedule to allow you to work from home some of the time, or providing more unpaid medical leave time so that you can get to doctor appointments. It can include things like modified exams or training materials to assist an employee in understanding and performing their job better. . The possibilities are limited only by an employee’s and employer’s imaginations—and the reality that one or more of these accommodations might be impossible in a particular workplace (e.g., if an employee works on an assembly line, they cannot work from home).

So, you are the best person -knowing how your disabilities affect you -- to request the accommodations you think would be most helpful to you.

Please let me know if I may provide you with any follow-up information or may clarify my answer for you in any way. Otherwise, please remember to take a moment to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. Doing so costs you nothing extra, but it is the only way experts like myself are credited by the website. You can always reply back (at no additional cost) after rating should you need additional assistance. Thank you.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer