Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I wanted to see if a previous employer is allowed to make…

I wanted to see...

I wanted to see if a previous employer is allowed to make subjective comments on a background check. I was fired from my last job and they prevented me from obtaining my next job by actually telling them I was a liar and always "covered-up" mistakes. (I didn't) and this is not the reason I was fired.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I tried to discuss it with HR and they told me right to work laws justify them firing me and did not need to provide me with a reason. I haven't had the money to discuss this with a lawyer

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No union. I worked for 11 years at this company

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

3/24/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
They cannot interfere with employment opportunity and can be held liable.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Great. Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
I'm a military vet and have priority hiring for government jobs, this was a government background check, does that make a difference compared to just a check on your prior employment. I was honest when I applied for the job and did not hide the fact they fired me
It does not. Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Thank you. Is there a statute of limitations?