Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

On behalf of my son who is a UK citizen and a US resident (

Customer Question
Hi. On behalf of my...
Hi. On behalf of my son who is a UK citizen and a US resident (Green Card) I have a question about his employment rights. He lives in Broward county Florida and is employed by a company in Palm Beach county as a technician and engineer.
He is paid bi-weekly on an 40-hour week basis plus overtime as incurred.
His salary is often paid late, being due every other Friday but often not being received until Saturday or even later the following week.
Over the past year he has identified many missing hours from his pay and often not been paid his overtime. In two months alone last year he believes he has been underpaid by more than $3000, including one week which was missed altogether when the company changed payment methods.
He has written emails to the company asking for this to be reviewed; the first email on December 6th, and more detailed emails since then. The company acknowledges receipt but keeps saying they are working on it and get back to him soon. He has had one meeting where nothing was resolved and he was verbally bullied by the owners who turned the tables and blamed him for getting time sheets in late, which does occur occasionally but does not affect the overall claim.
How does he stand legally and is there an governing authority he can report this to? He is a specialist in automation systems and is considering leaving the company to work directly with his existing contacts as a self-employed person, but he is concerned that the company will try to sue him for competing with them, although without him they will not be able to undertake the type of work in which he specializes.
Can you help and advise please?
Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Employment Law
3/25/2018
Employment Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 26 days ago
Josie-Mod

Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.

I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.

If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I am happy to wait - presumably you do have experts in employment law?
Employment Lawyer: Ray, Employment lawyer replied 25 days ago
Ray, Employment lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

He needs to file a wage complaint.The employer can be fined and he gets his back wages, overtime, etc.

Filing a Federal Complaint. A Florida employee with an unpaid wage claim can begin the process of filing a federal complaint by calling 1-866-4-USWAGE or visiting one of the WHD's seven Florida offices.Nov 2, 2010

How to File a Complaint With the Department of Labor in Florida for ...

https://www.sapling.com/7439105/file-florida-non-payment-wages

You file at site above they will audit employer and get him paid.This is terrible they have not paid him timely and proper.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thank you. What is ‘WHD’ which you mention that has seven offices?
Employment Lawyer: Ray, Employment lawyer replied 24 days ago

Sorry wage and hour division of Us Dept. of Labor, they have seven offices.

https://www.dol.gov/whd/america2.htm

Ray, Employment lawyer