Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was given Vidocen and steroids following oral surgery. I…

Customer Question
Hello, I was given...

Hello, I was given Vidocen and steroids following oral surgery. I was drug tested at work and they supposedly found Oxycodone but no no trace of the Vicoden or steroids. In addition I have read that Cipro(which I was on for an infection) and Benadryl (which I use for sleep) can cause false positives. I have no Oxycodone nor access to it so I could not have taken it. What are your thoughts?

Lawyer's Assistant: What province are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I apologize I am in the US, perhaps this is not the website I should use

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None yet. I was just terminated from my job due to "postive" drug test.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I can appeal my employers decision, but I want to make sure my points are valid before proceeding.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 day by:
3/25/2018
Employment Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 1 month ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would like an answer.
Employment Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 28 days ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.

You are correct that a number of drugs can cause a false positive for oxycodone. See https://thcdetox.biz/blog/can-cause-false-positive-oxycodone/ for example. But I have been unable to find anything suggesting that either cipro (which is Ciprofloxacin, a quinolone antibiotic, or benadryl, an antihistamine) do so. That being said, you certainly could contest your termination if you feel strongly that there is no way it is correct - you can ask if they would test you again in the event your sample got mixed up with someone else's, for example. They are not required to do so but it certainly doesn't hurt to request it. I'm sorry - I wish I had more "good news" for you; I'd provided it it I had it, I want you to know. Please let me know if I've answered your question. If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

-----------
Reminder: This site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal/medical advice.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney