Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I'm a 1099 contractor in Florida I was late in delivering…

Customer Question
Hi yes I'm a...

Hi yes I'm a 1099 contractor in Florida I was late in delivering services but they were completed can the company withhold my check?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I'm not sure what my rights are the company is not consistent in their organization

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm not an employee I don't get paid hourly I get paid per session and I didn't have a written contact until after a year. I asked and have copies of the emails where I ask for them to rewrite the terms as they requested I work full time hours and with my schedule now I wouldn't be able to meet that requirement but I never heard back. Got the contact in Nov/ Dec asked for a rewrite in jan and no word since

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
Employment Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
I am sorry to hear this. Did the company accept the service or reject it because of timeliness?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm not sure the service is mental health therapy with reciept of services being therapy noted. I was able to submit them but I have no way of knowing if the insurances they send them to were rejected or accepted they just said they were withholding my check until my next pay period
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
essentially mental health services were delivered but my notes were late

Thank you;

An independent contractor is not given the same protections as an employee so the contractor cannot file a wage claim for unpaid wages; rather the proper method is to file a small claims suit for breach of contract if the company fails to honor their financial commitment.

However if the work/receipts were submitted late and that is deemed a "condition precedent" to payment then that may delay payment for services until the next scheduled date.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
essentially if 10 out of 41 job receipts they can delay my whole check?
It would depend on the terms of the contract. Normally payment would be required when services are rendered, even if partially.

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
What if i dont have a written contract.
Employment Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 28 days ago

A contract may be oral or implied so there is no necessity that it be written. The court will look to the parties' prior arrangements/conduct and try to determine the intent of the parties.
There is also a legal doctrine called "quantum meruit" whereby a plaintiff can sue a defendant for services rendered and accepted on the basis that the defendant cannot unduly benefit from services and not pay for them. Generally the going market rate (whether hourly or piecemeal) is used to determine compensation.

I hope this helps!

kindly rate 5 stars to help maintain my customer satisfaction score. Thank you.

Employment Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 27 days ago

Hello; just checking in on the above.
Otherwise

Thank you.

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer