Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I recently as of March 5th returned to work from Maternity…

Customer Question
Hi, I recently as...

Hi, I recently as of March 5th returned to work from Maternity leave. I received my review yesterday for 2017 and was given a 2 (on a rating of 1-5). With no explanation of why I had a poor performance with the exception there is a mention of my "partial" first year. I worked from Jan. 1, 2017 until Nov. 24th. A poor review is a career killer in this corporation and my leave based on policy was 6 weeks FMLA and 8 weeks Maternity leave...which makes me feel that I will again be penalized in 2018 for a "partial" year.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I received the information review from my manager yesterday and plan on approaching either his manager or hr for an explanation of why I rec'd a poor performance

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

At will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I work for a large Biopharma company if that information is needed

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
I can suggest some options. would you like that information? please let me know and i will put it together and respond shortly. You can wait or come back later when we email you that a reply is ready. Thanks for your patience. This is not the answer. just an opening question so I can better focus the answer and make it more helpful.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would like suggestions on what my best path forward is and if this is a form of retaliation. I was told verbally during my review that I can't expect to get a 3 because of my grade level jump. I have been consistently a high performer and received several promotions. I am shocked by the poor review especially without providing the feedback of what I failed on. I was never given any indication throughout the year about being an under-performer.
On review of your facts, you have a good case.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!Company should reconsider and reverse course.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”If you have a follow up, just reply and ask me!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should I pursue internal conversations to correct the review? I asked him on multiple occasions upon return from my leave to go over the review (since the window time was open). Now the window to "lock" in reviews is quickly approaching March 31st.
as can always escalate if they don’t produce a good decision !
Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Infolawyer, Lawyer