Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was fired from my job as a nurse practitioner after my…

I was fired from...

I was fired from my job as a nurse practitioner after my rheumatologist sent a letter to my employer requesting he make reasonable accommodations for me as i have Rheumatoid Arthritis along with mixed connective tissue disease and 2 other overlap autoimmune diseases. The employer fired me instead of getting a dictation system for the electronic health record to decrease my need for typing, wouldn't put a heat vent in my office or allow for flexible scheduling. I signed a no compete clause at the beginning of my employment, since he breached the contract by not paying me overtime and then violating ADA compliance is this non compete even enforceable?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

There was no manager just the owner of the clinic. I've contacted 3 lawyers and never got past the paralegal and never called back

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

The contract was at will employment, no union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He was given the letter from my rheumatologist along with information regarding accommodations recommended by the ADA and Job Access Network for people with arthritis then 3 weeks later he sent me a text telling me to go finish and lock and charts that he was closing the clinic. The next day it was open with a new nurse practitioner

3/24/2018
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will wait for one more day.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will wait for your answer, thsnks.Stacy

The breach of the employment agreement and violation of ADA could be asserted as a defense to enforcement of the non compete.

There is a principle in law that a party in breach is estopped from enforcing the agreement they are in breach of. It is known as the "Doctrine of Unclean Hands".

So, if they did not pay the required overtime and violated ADA, that is what you would assert to block the enforcement of the non compete.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Are you still online with me?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you for using JA.

Loren, Lawyer
Loren, Lawyer