Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am employed by a university hospital in the state of

Customer Question
I am employed by...

I am employed by a university hospital in the state of Alabama which participates in the Teacher's Retirement System. My prior employment at the same institution ended secondary to lack of funding on 10/31/16. My vacation hours in excess of 22 days were converted to sick time and deposited in the TRS. I was rehired 10/30/17 and the prior sick time was placed back in my benefit allowances. I lost sensation in my dominant arm and had to undergo surgery 2 weeks ago. Yesterday I was informed that my prior sick time deposit was an error and it was removed from my benefit balances. Is this accurate?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

My manager was informed by HR. I have not discussed this with HR or a lawyer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I believe I am an "at will" employee. Do not belong to a union.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Sick time allotted to the TRS can be used to retire early only if you are vested (10 years). I only have 5 years. This amounts to over 100 days of sick leave that I appear to have lost.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
You are entitled to a detailed explanation to determine if there is an error. It cannot be summarily adjusted without consent and confirmation.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”If you have a follow up, just reply and ask me!
http://www.alabamaadministrativecode.state.al.us/docs/pers/14PERS.htm
Please see 1e. Does this apply to me?
Can you copy and paste the language for me.
e) Employees may not be compensated for accumulated sick leave when they are separated from the state service, except in the case of retirement. However, if they leave the service in good standing and are reemployed within a period of four years from date of separation, sick leave accumulated during previous employment or any part thereof, may be restored upon recommendation by the appointing authority and approval by the Director.
Are you still there?
This would be applied to you depending on your stage in the position.
Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!If you have a follow up, just reply and ask me!