Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can I use FMLA to get my mother's finances in order. She is…

Can I use FMLA...

Can I use FMLA to get my mother's finances in order. She is now in assisted living after falling last year. She has been away from home and does not have anyone to help her get her taxes done. And other bills caught up. I am her only son. And only help. I have FMLA at work. I need to get her taxes in order.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

Union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They have been very good at work with leave so I am not to concerned but was just wondering about legal just in case.

3/23/2018
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

You can use FMLA to help provide for an immediate family member's medical or "other needs". This would fall under giving care for "other needs". So, yes, you should be able to qualify for caregiving purposes.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Lawyer