Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

How can I determine if I am a victim of age discrimination.

Customer Question
How can I determine...

How can I determine if I am a victim of age discrimination

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discrimination issue discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

HR and our management team have sided together in reducing my territory and pay (I am a commissioned salesman)

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

I am in Washington and it is an "at will" state. I am a straight commissioned salesman

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

All salespeople were given their sales goals for the year. Ten working days later my territory and commission % were cut. I had agreed in total to the goals. A senior vp has denied raises or promotions to older employees because "they cannot be an A or B player. They are too old. We only want A and B players". This same senior vp has also passed over two qualified people of color and hired a white man because "we have too many black people walking the floor already". I am 66 years old and have been with the company for 30 years

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/23/2018
Employment Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for your question and the information. Are you saying that the Senior VP actually said he/she said older employees "cannot be an A or B player" and that is why they are being denied promotions or raises? Are any employees over 40 being given raises and promotions? What does race have to do with your specific issue or question?