Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Im getting demoted after coming back from Maternity leave,

Im getting demoted after...

Im getting demoted after coming back from Maternity leave, is this legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the demotion with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No not yet, but my coworker told me this information. My job is being replaced by the person I trained to save it for me which is my bosses sister

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No, no union. It is a company though

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Not legal. Smacks of retaliation. I can suggest some options. would you like that information? please let me know and i will put it together and respond shortly. You can wait or come back later when we email you that a reply is ready. Thanks for your patience. This is not the answer. just an opening question so I can better focus the answer and make it more helpful.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
please
A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.If needed, The eeoc is a federal agency charged with reviewing discrimination complaints. www.eeoc.gov is its site and you can pursue a complaint using it.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
HR is also behid this, and they are trying to blind side me before I return.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
your saying I have a case?
Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK no problem I will rate you 5 stars bit im not done. So I can get a letter for a lawyer sayig what exactly?
It would seek a meeting to revisit the decision. Hopefully they agree to reconsider.
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Infolawyer, Lawyer