Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I asked My boss if I could go to my car to get a tampon and…

Customer Question
I asked My boss...

I asked My boss if I could go to my car to get a tampon and he told me no to return to work

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I went back to work for about another 15 to 20 minutes before I just went and got one anyways

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/22/2018
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

Can he do that

I see. I think the answer is no. This to me sounds like you would have a case of employment discrimination which is prohibited under state and federal law at 42 USC 2000e-2 which prohibits gender discrimination. The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission field office in your area will serve as the agency that would oversee the complaint, should you decide to file one. There are some basic processes that the EEOC files that I think you should be aware of, and I have listed them below:

The initial pre-complaint process can be found at 29 C.F.R. §1614.105. This is the process whereby you may bring this action to an Equal Employment Opportunity Counselor within usually 300 days. The Counselors must advise individuals in writing of their rights and responsibilities, including the right to request a hearing after an investigation by the agency. The process may go through informal mediation wherein the employer and the employee try to come to a reasonable agreement. It’s voluntary and I highly recommend it in most cases.

Regardless, the EEO Counselor will issue a report based on their initial findings. Once the employee receives notice of the findings, they have 15 days to file a formal complaint.

The formal complaint process can be found at 29 C.F.R. §1614.106-108. Basically, the EEO will conduct a full investigation and come up with a Report of Investigation. The employee has the right to request an administrative hearing with an administrative judge after receiving the ROI or they may sue in a federal district court. Mediation is always still on the table. If the parties cannot mediate, then the parties will go through the administrative process or a federal civil proceedings and then the judge will issue a “Final Agency Decision” (for administrative hearings) or a ruling (for civil actions) If the employee doesn’t like the decision, then they can always appeal. A quick Google search will reveal your local EEO office so check that out.

Did you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?