Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was just told a was recorded in the work place and I did…

Hi my name is*****...

Hi my name is*****: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I was just told a was recorded in the work place and I did not know about it is that legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

I am hired union help

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I live in Alaska state

3/22/2018
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. In Alaska, it is permissible for a conversation to be recorded if at least one person who is a participant in the conversation is aware of or doing the recording. That state's eavesdropping statute does not require all individuals being recorded to be aware of it; it only prohibits a third party who is not a part of the conversation from recording. That said, you mentioned you are union; so one question would be whether there is anything in the union contract that would protect you against this type of recording. It may be worth contacting a union representative to find out. You may also want to review any company policies to see if the issue was addressed since though state law does not stop this, if the employer has a policy against it you may have grounds for a complaint internally within the company.

I hope this helps. If you need further assistance, please reply to this email. If I answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

Please note: This information is for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action is being proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.

Attorney Wendy