Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I live in CA. My employer decided to put an audio video

Customer Question
I live in CA...

I live in CA. My employer decided to put an audio video camera where myself and other employees meet clients (some are attorneys), gave us no reason, and didnt ask if it was ok with me. ITS NOT! the only reason she did that was because she has decided to live in St. Martin and is babysitting us with her "Nest" camera. I have been here 6.5 years, shes owned it 3 there has NEVER been ANY type of issue to justify a camera/audio. It causes me great anxiety and stress. Is there anything i can do. I unplug thats how much i hate it, i'm afraid if i say anything she will fire me!

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

What termination

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I can't think of anything. thank you

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/22/2018
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I’m sorry to hear about your situation. Generally, an employer can put up video cameras, but there are limits. I don't know exactly where these cameras are, but this appears to me to be the tort of intrusion upon seclusion. What is required for an intrusion upon seclusion claim is that the plaintiff must show:

1.That the plaintiff had a reasonable expectation of privacy (for example, bathrooms, locker rooms, etc.)

2. That the defendant intentionally intruded in that place;

3. The defendant’s intrusion would be highly offensive to a reasonable person;

4. That the plaintiff was harmed;

5. If the plaintiff is asserting more than one privacy right, give an introductory

You may want to consider just writing a cease and desist letter advising about the merits of the claim. If this person is a lawyer, then they will understand the risks they are taking with this. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template cease and desist letter (click here). Lawyers use letters like these often to enforce their client’s rights. It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?